These days, more and more parents are staying in the city to raise their kids rather than moving to the suburbs. With so many terrific kid-friendly condo buildings and great neighborhoods for families in Chicago, parents have no shortage of housing options to choose from. Here are just a few considerations for families as they start to think about buying a “family friendly” home in Chicago:
- AMENITIES: If you’re thinking about high-rise living, consider what building amenities would appeal to your family.
- If you’re big fans of family movie night, a building with a great screening room would be a perfect fit.
- Do your kids love to swim? Look for a building with an indoor pool so they can do so year-round, even in the cold-weather months.
- Need more room for your kids to play? Look for buildings that boast a children’s playroom in their amenity package. (See below for photo of the playroom at The Grant, a Related Midwest condo building located at 1201 S. Prairie).
- NEIGHBORHOOD ATTRIBUTES: Many families want to live in a neighborhood or building with plenty of other families (and kids!) around. Check out the neighborhood in the evening or on a weekend to see if it’s a family-friendly vibe. Another strategy is to look at buildings with a good percentage of larger units, which tend to attract more families.
- LOCATION: Time is golden for any busy parent, and that’s especially true in the city where it isn’t as easy to hop in the car and run a quick errand.
- When you’re buying a home in Chicago, think about its proximity to not only your office and your kids’ schools, but also the grocery store, dry cleaner, gym and other places you go on a regular basis.
- One of the big perks of city living is having a walkable lifestyle, so scope out any neighborhood you’re considering and see if you’ll be able to walk with your kids to the library, the park, the ice cream parlor or a great family-friendly restaurant.
You can count on the Related Realty team of expert brokers to help you discover all that Chicago real estate has to offer for families. Call today to begin the process of finding your dream home!